- Educate economic development professionals, officials and others about the critical processes and strategies needed to improve California's communities so they can succeed in the global economy.
- Provide new business information and resources to local economic development professionals so that they, in turn, can pass this information on to entrepreneurs in their communities.
- Conduct supportive research, data development and analysis.
- Strengthen the link between economic development and educational institutions.
- Make economic development professionals more productive by bringing new technologies to the field.